Yellow Card Training Sydney

At Uphire, we provide EWP training for anyone who needs to develop their skills and knowledge to acquire a ‘Yellow Card’ RIIHAN301E. We ensure that participants receive the EWPA-Issued Yellow Card at the conclusion of training. The official EWPA yellow card is required on many Tier 1 job sites.  (Note: Other training providers may issue cards for competency training to RIIHAN301E, however, these may not be accepted on all sites where an EWPA Card is required).


Official EWPA Yellow Card


You can check the validity of a yellow card by entering the card number on the EWPA website.


Yellow Card Course Content
We cover at a minimum three modules, boom lifts under 11 m (BL), vertical (VL) and scissor lifts (SL). Other modules are available upon request, and additional fees will apply.

Scissor Lift – SL
Boom Lift – BL
Vertical Lift – VL
Trailer Mount – TL

Training sessions are conducted as and when required. Weekend and ‘on job site’ training can be catered for too. Start and finish times will depend on group numbers, level of experience, and job site.

Our trainers are industry experienced and EWPA certified trainers.

Our Location
Address: UPHIRE Pty Ltd. 3/83-85 Christie Street St Mary 2760.
Parking: Plenty of parking is available on Christie Street.

The cost of our EWPA Yellow Card is $390.00 + GST per person. For groups of 4 or more, we discount to $349.00+ GST. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.

We can also arrange High-Risk Work Licences for boom lifts over 11m and Forklift training. Call us on 1300 UPHIRE (87 44 73) or submit an enquiry to determine the best solution for you and your team.



Why do we need EWP training?

Most importantly so that operators can competently use equipment. It is also important to remember that employers are responsible for ensuring that their employees receive the right training to do their jobs safely. An Operator Licence is an excellent way to provide proof that this independent training was received and that the participant was determined to be competent.

WHS Act 2011
Employers must provide information, instruction, training, and supervision necessary to ensure the health and safety of employees at work.

Manufacturers and suppliers of plant must ensure equipment is safe to use when properly used and must make available adequate information about the conditions for the safe use of the equipment manufactured or supplied.

Employees must co-operate with efforts to comply with WHS requirements.

For further information as supplied by the Elevating Work Platform Association of Australia (EWPA), click here

Do I need a Yellow Card if I have a WP High Risk License?

Despite common perception, the answer is yes. The WP Licence covers boom lifts over 11m. So, if you are operating a scissor lift, vertical lift or boom with a platform height under 11m the WP Licence does not cover this. You will need your EWP licence if you want to demonstrate a qualification and/or competency with the equipment.

What if I have the old Yellow Card format? Do I need to do the new Operator Licence?

Existing Yellow Cards are still valid with the EWPA, however individual sites may require operators to have the new EWPA operator licence. This helps sites to ensure that operators have been trained and used the equipment in the last 5 years. The new EWP Operator Licence will be accepted by all sites, although some sites may also request a VOC (Verification of Competency)


This is a three-day course- 2 days training, one day assessment (by a Workcover Accredited Assessor.) This will allow you to legally operate Boom type devices over 11 metres.

Please contact us to discuss your requirements. 


Why do we need a VOC?

Some of the bigger construction companies now require a VOC (Verification of Competency) before you are allowed to operate an EWP (or any other plant equipment). This is a safety measure that reassures the construction company that you are up to date with your training and still competent. It is usually around an hour or 2 in duration, depending on how many devices you need verification in. It consists of a questionnaire and some practical tasks. 


Uphire provides Gold Card Training on request at our premises. Onsite training can also be organised for larger groups. Trainers are industry experienced and certified by the Telescopic Handler Association of Australia.

Similar to EWP Licensing, there are High Risk Work Licenses that apply to Telehandlers with a lifting capacity greater than 3Tonne which are being used with a crane jib lifting attachment.

Telehandler Gold Card Training ensures that operators have been appropriately trained in the use of Telehandlers that do not fall into the category of a High-Risk Work Licence.  It is also a common misconception that a forklift licence prepares an operator to use a Telehandler, however Forklifts and Telehandlers have different capabilities and fall under different Australian standards. Operation of a Telehandler requires Telehandler specific training.

Further information from the Telescopic Handler Association of Australia can be found below. Or feel free to call us to discuss your requirements.

Why Do I need a Gold Card?

Telescopic Handler Operator Competency/Duty of Care Training and High Risk Work/Driver Licensing Requirements in each State/Territory



Uphire Pty Ltd is a fully accredited member of the Elevating Work Platform Association of Australia, the Telescopic Handler Association of Australia and the Hire and Rental Industry Association.





Enquire Now

Would you like to speak with our professional staff about your hire requirements? Submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.